Are animals allowed on Alsa buses?
Animals such as dogs, cats, ferrets, birds (except poultry)… are accepted on Alsa buses.
Other non-hazardous pet species are admitted in exceptional cases with permission from the Service Technician.
Passengers must arrive at boarding with the animal at least 15 minutes before departure and place the caged animal themselves on the bus, as instructed by the driver.
- Internet: It is possible to book via the BusBud website
- United Kingdom
Terms and conditions
- Each passenger can carry up to 1 animal. In fact, only one animal cannot be transported by service.
- Normal Class Bus: The animal is transported in the hold, in a closed, safe container, with a waterproof bottom.
- Supra Class and Premium Bus: The animal is transported in an independent baggage compartment, with large dimensions and equipped with ventilation. In addition to a large independent compartment, with premium service, your pet will also benefit from the air conditioning system for travellers.
- The compartments are cleaned and disinfected after the trip.
If your pet is accompanying you on a Supra-class bus it is recommended to travel during the hours when the ambient temperature is not too high.
- At least 12 weeks old
- Vaccines up-to-date, and in good standing depending on destination
- External and internal pest control treatment performed
- It must be identified by a microchip
- The animal is healthy, without a wound and able to move on its own.
- The transport of pregnant or calving females a week earlier is not permitted.
Rules to follow
- The passenger is responsible for his pet
- The passenger holds the necessary documents for transport (identification, health book or passport up to date…)
- The exit of the animal’s cargo hold must be done without the presence of other passengers in the vicinity so as not to have a situation that could have consequences on these passengers.
- The transport takes place in a rigid container. The container cannot open from the inside, it is adapted to the size of the animal, and is suitable for the size standards indicated by the company. It is designed in non-toxic, non-disposable materials, easy to clean and disinfect, it holds an absorbent bottom that prevents leaks. The door completely covers one side, and should not be able to open accidentally.
- Container sizes: Length: The length of the animal, measured from the tip of the snout to the base of the tail – about 15 cm. Width: about 2.5 times the width of the animal. Height: height of the animal, measured from the ground to the highest point – about 15 cm.
- The animal must drink every 8 hours at least.
Animals under 10kg are transported for an extra 50% on the passenger ticket price. The booking is made when the passenger’s ticket is purchased, at the purchase stage.
On the Madrid-Alicante-Benidorm route, a collaboration with Traveldog allows passengers to have other travel options available for their pets.
Recommendations before transport
- Getting the animal used to transport
- Have an appointment with the vet the week before the trip to check his health
- Wash your pet the day before to avoid bad odours
- Stop feeding your pet six hours before the trip
- Walk the animal 30 minutes before the trip to check that it is evacuating what it needs to evacuate
- If necessary, leave only a toy in the travel box that cannot be ingested.
- Take a bowl, and water
- Take everything he needs (harness…)
- Take a necklace with his identification, a contact number in case of loss.